Executive Director – San Diego Museum Council
The mission of the San Diego Museum Council (SDMC) is to increase awareness, connect, provide services, and advocate for the diverse museums within its membership. With more than 40 members, the Council strives to be a sustainable, prominent, and influential nonprofit organization that represents San Diego County’s museum community. The Council is currently seeking an Executive Director (ED), who will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for San Diego Museum Council’s programs, consultants and partners, and execution of its mission. The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in strategic and operational planning.
- Advise the Board of Directors on all aspects of the organization’s activities; identify, assess, and inform Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
- Serve as primary contact for constituents (members, partners, public, etc.).
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization and represent the organization in the community.
- Liaise with Committee Chairs and attend committee meetings as needed.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations.
Administration and Operations
- Develop operational plans aligned with the strategic direction of the organization.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Draft policies in collaboration with the Board; prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Prepare agenda (with support from President and Membership Chair) and supporting materials for member meetings.
- Maintain database of members, committees, and Board Members.
- Manage development and production of marketing collateral materials.
- Manage resource requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
Fundraising, Communications, and Program Delivery
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s signature programs and events (with support Marketing and Development Committees).
- With support from Marketing Committee and Board, develop annual marketing plan to support member objectives, including digital marketing strategy and coordination of advertising.
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization, including securing and stewarding corporate sponsors and managing grant writing and reporting process (with support from Development Committee).
- Evaluate opportunities that benefit members and monitor member satisfaction and engagement.
Financial planning and management
- Work with Board to prepare the annual operating budget.
- Manage accounting procedures in conjunction with contract bookkeeper and accountant (with support from Treasurer)
- Provide the Board with periodic financial reports organization (in partnership with Treasurer)
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Senior level management experience related to nonprofit institution, 5-7 years preferred, with development and marketing experience.
- The ED will be thoroughly committed to SDMC’s mission and should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
- Strong organizational and project management skills—strategic and operational
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to multitask.
- Strong understanding of fundraising and marketing principles and implementation.
- Entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change, critical questioning, innovation, service and continuous improvement.
- Financial management experience.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors, with ability to cultivate existing Board member relationships.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook) and file management software (Google Drive) and digital marketing platforms such as WordPress, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Membership organization or museum experience preferred
Salary and Benefits
Annual salary: $55,000 – $58,000. This is an exempt, full-time position, providing 15 days annual vacation per year, 10 days medical leave, and 10 paid holidays.
The San Diego Museum Council is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status.
Email letter of interest, resume, and three professional references in Adobe PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title (“SDMC Executive Director”) in your subject line. All attachments should be submitted with applicant’s first initial and last name included in the file name (for example “B.Jones Resume”). Apply by 10/31/18.