(Latest update: November 16, 2020)
Due to current San Diego County health mandates, many indoor museums have temporarily closed to the public, while some outdoor museums remain open.
While will do our best to keep this list updated, the situation can change quickly.
Be sure to check each museum’s website or social media for the very latest information before visiting.
(Tip: Many museums continue to offer great virtual experiences during their temporary closures. It’s a great way to stay engaged with vibrant San Diego’s museum community from home until you can once again return in person.)
- Barona Cultural Center & Museum – Staying open (sovereign nation). Store open.
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps – Open for outdoor exhibits only. Gift shop open.
- Bonita Museum & Cultural Center – Private tours by appointment and outdoor viewing only.
- Cabrillo National Monument – Outdoor areas remain open
- California Center for the Arts, Escondido – Closed
- California Surf Museum – Closed (store to remain open)
- Coronado Museum of History & Art – Remains closed (online store open)
- Fleet Science Center – Remains closed
- Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum – Outdoor exhibits and store remain open.
- Gaslamp Museum at the Davis-Horton House – Closed
- Heritage of the Americas Museum – Closed
- Japanese Friendship Garden – Outdoor areas remain open
- Junipero Serra Museum (San Diego History Center) – Closed
- La Jolla Historical Society – Remains open
- Living Coast Discovery Center – Remains closed, private tours only
- Lux Art Institute – Remains open (with reservations).
- Maritime Museum of San Diego – Remains open (outdoor experience + harbor cruise)
- Mingei Museum – Remains closed
- Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum – Closed
- Mission San Luis Rey – Closed
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego – Closed
- Museum of Making Music – Remains closed
- Museum of Photographic Arts – Remains closed (online store open)
- New Americans Museum – Closed
- Oceanside Museum of Art – Closed (store to remain open)
- San Diego Air & Space Museum – Closed
- San Diego Archaeological Center – Closed (no online store)
- San Diego Art Institute – Remains closed
- San Diego Automotive Museum – Closed
- San Diego Botanic Garden – Remains open
- San Diego Children’s Discovery Center – Remains closed
- San Diego Chinese Historical Museum – Remains closed
- San Diego History Center – Closed
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum – Closed
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat) – Remains closed (online store coming soon)
- Save Our Heritage Organisation
- The New Children’s Museum – Remains closed
- The San Diego Museum of Art – Closed
- Tijuana Estuary Visitor Center – Trails open. Visitor Center remains closed.
- Timken Museum – Remains closed
- USS Midway Museum – Remains open (outdoor areas)
- Visions Art Museum – Galleries closed, store to remain open